Will Botox® Work for You?
- In clinical trials, nearly 90% of men and women using BOTOX® Cosmetic surveyed rated the improvement in the appearance of frown lines between their brows as moderate to better 1 month after treatment. Results vary.
- Results from using this can last for up to 4 months, and may vary.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2002 for the temporary treatment of moderate to severe frown lines between the brows in people ages 18 to 65. Almost 3.3 million procedures were performed in 2005 alone.
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ranked BOTOX® Cosmetic as the most popular physician-administered aesthetic procedure in the United States for the fourth year in a row (surgical and nonsurgical combined).
The Botox® Treatment
The beauty of this cosmetic treatment is that it’s a simple, 10-minute, non-surgical process. And there’s no recovery time. You can even do it on your lunch break.
- Your doctor will administer several tiny injections directly into the muscles that cause those moderate to severe frown lines between the brows.
- Your doctor will determine where to administer the injections by examining your ability to move certain muscles in your brow area. The location, size, and use of the muscles that create a furrowed brow vary markedly among individuals.
- No anesthesia is required, although your doctor may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream prior to injecting BOTOX®
- You can expect to be in and out of the physician’s office without downtime. You may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows within days. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 4 months.
What exactly is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
It is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium. It is a nonsurgical, physician-administered treatment that can temporarily reduce moderate to severe frown lines between the brows in people 18 to 65 years of age. During treatment, very low doses of BOTOX® injections are administered via a few tiny injections directly into the facial muscles. The treatment is usually done in about 10 minutes, and no recovery time is needed. Within days, you may see an improvement that can last up to 4 months. Results may vary.
How does the injection work?
Those moderate to severe frown lines between your brows form over time as the result of muscle activity. It is injected directly into the muscles between your brows. It works by blocking the transmission of nerve impulses to the injected muscles; this reduces the activity of the muscles that cause those persistent lines to form.
When will I see results from a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment?
Within days of your first treatment , you may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows, and lines continue to improve for up to a month. Results may vary.
How long does the injection last?
Results from treatment with this cosmetic may last for up to 4 months. If you discontinue treatment, the frown lines between your brows gradually will look like they did before treatment.
Who should administer BOTOX® Cosmetic?
Any authorized healthcare professional can administer the injection, but dermatologists, plastic surgeons, ophthalmologists, otolaryngologists (ear, nose, and throat doctors), or other physicians specializing in cosmetic procedures are generally more experienced. Our Bellevue professionals are authorized to administer Botox to our clients.
Is treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic painful?
Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injecting it, your physician may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream.
Who should not use BOTOX® Cosmetic?
It should not be used in the presence of infection at the proposed injection site(s) and in individuals with known hypersensitivity to any ingredient in the formulation. Patients with neuromuscular disorders such as ALS, myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome may be at increased risk of serious side effects.
Will my facial expressions continue to look natural?
Although the results are visible, your facial appearance may not change radically. The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is simply reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows.
Is this cosmetic affordable?
When considering your facial aesthetic options, it is actually quite affordable. According to an American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery survey, BOTOX®Cosmetic is one of the low-entry-cost facial aesthetic procedures in the United States. Like other appearance-related investments, the cost must be weighed relative to your expectations. Consult your doctor for further information.
Will I experience any side effects?
The most common side effects include temporary eyelid droop and nausea. Localized pain, infection, inflammation, tenderness, swelling, redness, and/or bleeding/bruising may also occur. Patients with certain neuromuscular disorders may be at increased risk of serious side effects.
What will happen to the frown lines between my brows if I choose not to continue treatments?
If you do not continue treatments, the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows will gradually look like they did before treatment.